Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Hibernation



I think everyone sort of goes into hibernation in the winter. Particularly after Christmas. This seems to be the time when all the merriment and festivities and warmth from mulled wine and roaring log fires dies down and we are left with the bare cold of January. Of course anyone who's spent time in Scotland will know that January up here is a good 25 degrees colder than anywhere else on the planet. Its a fact. Well, maybe...

So what do we do? We hibernate. We snuggle under blankets and tell ourselves we enjoy early nights in. We huddle in doorways and bus stops, and hustle on our way to places in an effort to forget the cold.

I think today was the first day in a long time that I felt like coming out of hibernation. It was still light at 6pm when I came out of the house for a stroll, and the sky didn't look like it was about to burst open and cover me in freezing rain. Time for lovely spring flowers like narcissi and paperwhites, tulips and blossom in abundance. At last spring is here!

1 comment:

  1. Sophie, I know exactly what you mean - these last few days have felt like the start of something new and fresh. All these daffodils everywhere never fail to make me feel alive x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...